Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cat Scratch Fever

Not as delightfully hip as it sounds....




I had planned on starting my gown for The Ream Of Venus' Italian Renaissance Costuming Challenge 3. Well today's sewing expedition started off well.... and well I mean my cat bit me, so actually not-so-well. It wasn't his fault...really... He was enjoying a nice pet and some love then suddenly decided he did not want his belly rubbed (I think he's self conscious, he is a bit chubs). As I was washing up and dressing my wrist to avoid infection, the little punk decides he is oh so sorry and come bounding up mewing and cooing rubbing up against my leg. You can't stay mad at a little ball of happy fur... He was probably just hungry.

Long story short I did not feel like doing too much because my writs hurt so I sat down and did a bit more research on the Italians in the late 15th early 16th century. I also purchased the pattern for an Italian Reta, via Lynn McMasters (who has so many fantastic hat patterns I don't know how I have not bought them all). An Italian Reta is a netted headdress worn draped over the hair and tied on with an embellished chord. 


                                   Beatrice d'Este (1475-1497) by Leonardo da Vinci & Ambroglio de Predis

 
  I have all the materials for the dress and I am really going for a combined look. I am a full on believer that the gowns that have been painted in the past are not the be-all end-all for costuming and there were transitional styles for years as well as regions. I found a pretty sage green damask upholstery fabric for the gown and one version of the sleeves. I also have a contrasting crimson velvet for another versions of the sleeves. I love the detached styles of sleeves on Italian gowns, it really allows you to mix and match styles for a whole different look with just a few items. I will be posting a few pictures of my designs soon but I have yet to get them uploaded (bad bad me I know...) Here is a look at my fabric though. 

                                                                                            With flash



                                                                    Without flash

Terrible iPhone photos, I know, my apologies. I was also thinking of adding a lighter brown to the mix for some 2 or 3 detached sleeve styles. 

I do plan on using the draping method to get a well fitting pattern. I have not used this method before, so I am certain that it will be an adventure! I do hope my gold cording and the reta pattern arrive soon because that is where I plan to really start.

 I really love the sleeve style on this dress as well as the longer bodice style. It is a fairly common early Florentine style gown, which had sleeves attached at the shoulders and had two to three different parts.     

















 Portrait of a Lady, Unknown Artist

  
 I love this dress, the beautiful fabric, the length of the bodice, the sleeves! My oh my! It i very much the style of gown I am aiming for with this project.  It is a really great silhouette for the period and flattering on a very wide range of body types. It is also a very wonderful resource to see how the sleeves are attached to the bodice with ties.

























 And now for some Inspiring Italians...




                                                              Ambrogio de Predis Giovanni Ambrogio de Predis





                                                                            Saint Mary Magdeline, Carlo Crivelli





                                                               Portrait of Lucrezia Panciatichi, Agnolo di Cosimo







                                                                       Lady With A Unicorn, Raphael Sanzio

 


                                                  Portrait of a Lady in Green, Agnolo Bronzino





                                                                          Giovanni Ambrogio de Predis 




                                                                     Portrait of a Young Woman, Sandro Botticelli

 

Ahhh all so beautiful, not to mention the marvelous artwork. I simply cannot wait to start on my gown!! Silly kitty... At least I got to post an entry here and also organize some of my sewing things before the big move! Funny how you think you only need 2 thread boxes... No hahaha no no no.... I have too much thread. I really cannot believe I am supposed to be in training in less than 2 weeks! I will be certain to keep you updated on my escapades during that month as well. Hopefully next post, I will have something to show you!!

TTFN ta ta for now xx

         Morgan le Fay  


No comments:

Post a Comment